How To Setup Invoice Numbering
Collect! has the capability to automatically number your invoices
as they are generated. Below are the steps required to activate
You have applied at least one payment transaction to a debtor.
A user ID and Signon Password to use that will give you access
rights to make these changes. By default, operator OWN will have
Ability to use Windows Explorer to find and open a text file.
Knowledge of the drive and folder where your working Collect! is installed.
If you have previously generated statements, then you can go to
Step Two. If you have never generated statements before, just follow
the instructions below.
1. Sign into your Collect! database and go to the Main Menu or
Work in Progress form.
2. Select PRINT from the top menu bar and a drop-down
menu will appear.
3. Select MONTHLY REPORTS and a submenu will appear.
4. Select GENERATE STATEMENTS from this submenu and the
GENERATE STATEMENTS AND INVOICES form will display.
5. Leave the field CLIENTS WITH BILLING PERIOD as is.
6. Notice the words DATE RANGE, select the CALENDAR ICON to
the right of the FROM field and a calendar will display.
7. Click on the top left (<<) button to move the year back a
few years. This is just to insure that we capture some transactions.
The invoices we create will be deleted without any harm after
we have completed this setup.
8. Click the OK button on the lower left of the Calendar form
now to return to the GENERATE STATEMENTS AND INVOICES
9. Now the date FROM should display a date that is a few
years back and the TO date can be left as is.
10. Now Click the OK button to the lower left and Collect!
should generate at least one invoice.
If you are prompted to LOCK OTHERS for SPEED just
select NO and continue. If Collect! reports 0 Invoices generated
you have not yet put a transaction against a debtor. You will
need to do this and begin from Step One again. If you do not
know how to post a payment to a debtor, go to the Debtor form
and press F1.
- Payment Posting
11. If Collect! did generate one or more invoices proceed to
1. Sign into the Collect! database.
2. Select BROWSE from the top menu bar and a drop-down
menu will appear.
3. Select STATEMENTS and a list of statements should appear.
If you have not created your invoices yet, you will be prompted
to create a new one. Refer to Step One above.
4. Click on ANY invoice that appears in the list and the
actual INVOICE STATEMENT form will appear.
5. Near the top left you will see a field labeled COUNTER.
Click into this field to make it active. It should turn light blue.
6. Press ALT F2 or right click in this field and select
PROPERTIES from the pop up menu to display the
ACCESS RIGHTS form. Note the NAME, there will
be a number such as 02503 followed by Counter.
The number is not important but the name Counter should be
there or you may not be on the proper field. If not, click cancel
and start Step Two again.
7. You MUST enter an ALIAS to the field before a counter
will work. Let's click into the ALIAS field to make it active.
8. Enter any short name you would like.(eg: Inv. #)
9. Now look for the field on this ACCESS RIGHTS form
10. Click this field to place a check mark in it.
11. Click OK to the lower left and we are ready to test.
12. Keep selecting the OK buttons until you are back to the
Main Menu or your Work In Progress form and proceed to
Now we will re-generate to test that the counter is working.
1. Proceed to Step One if you have do not have real invoices
previously generated. You may be prompted that there are
invoices already - would you like to delete them?. Click
YES to proceed.
2. If you have previously generated statements you may want
to regenerate for just this month and just replace the invoices
3. Once generated select BROWSE from the top menu and
the drop-down menu will appear.
4. Select STATEMENT and a list of statements will display.
5. Click on ANY statement newly generated and you should
see in the INV # field a number. This will increase as each
invoice is generated.
That's all there is to it! If you would like to have a different
number in this field, you will need to edit the counter file
Collect! generates when you have the counter switch on a
field. Proceed to Step Four to change this number.
Collect! automatically increments a counter field by 1 for
each record created. If you wish to start the numbering from
a different number, we need to edit the number in the counter
file Collect! has created for you.
1. Open your Windows Explorer and navigate to your working
database folder. Open the MASTERDB folder and you will
notice a new COUNTERS folder.
2. Open the COUNTERS folder and you should see a file
3. Open the invoicestatementcounter.cnt with
Notepad or any text editor.
4. With the file open you will see the last number used in the
field on the record where you invoked the counter option.
5. Simply edit the number to one less than the number you
wish to see when creating new records.
6. Save the file (as a text file) and exit out of Explorer.
Next time you create this type of record, the number will be
incremented by one and the number will be written to this file.