How To Post A Debtor Payment
When a debtor makes a payment to your agency
or to your client, we post a Payment transaction
to the debtor's account. There are several ways
to do this. The most direct way is from the
Debtor form. The steps are covered in this document.
We will post a check payment, as an example.
The steps are:
- Open the Debtor form where you want to post
- Create a Payment transaction and enter the details.
- Examine the Debtor to make sure the new financials are correct.
The rest of this document walks you through these
Open The Debtor Form
1. Start Collect! and sign in as you would
normally. Select Browse from the top menu bar and
then select All Debtors from the drop-down choices.
The list of all debtors will display.
2. Begin typing the name of the debtor you wish to post
the payment to. As you type, Collect! will take you
through the list and stop at the closest match.
3. Click on the debtor, or if the debtor is highlighted, just
press Enter or F5 to open the Debtor form. The debtor you
selected should be displayed.
Create A Payment Transaction
1. Select the TRANSACTIONS tab to post the
payment. If there are no transactions for this debtor, you
will be prompted to enter a new one. Select the YES button
to create a new transaction.
If the TRANSACTIONS tab is lit up, this quickly informs
you that there are existing transactions posted to this
debtor. When you select the TRANSACTIONS tab, you will see
a list of all transactions posted to this debtor. Press F3.
You should now have an empty Transaction form on your
2. Press F2 to display the Transaction Type list.
3. Select Type 101, Payment by Check. Once the Type 101
is selected, a lot of information is entered automatically.
4. Fill in the payment amount in the field labeled To Us
if the payment was made to the agency, or in the field
labeled Direct if the payment went to
directly to the client. The payment is entered as a
POSITIVE amount. This reduces the debtor's Owing.
Press F8 or the OK button to save the transaction. You will be returned
to the Transaction list showing you the newly posted transaction.
5. Select OK to return to the Debtor form.
Examine The Debtor
Inspect the money fields on the Debtor form to make
sure the results are correct.
These steps work for whatever type of payment you wish
to post. Collect! ships with several sample Payment
transaction types in the Demonstration database.
- Transaction Type Samples